Sunday, January 9, 2011

The relationship between money and aerodynamics


In my last post I made a reference to flying, and in my future posts I'm sure I will also bring up the topic because I love to fly. I also love sailing so I'm sure that topic will find its way into some of my posts, but today I'm going to talk about the relationship between money and aerodynamics.

Anyone who understands aerodynamics knows the five laws or principles of flight and they are lift, gravity, thrust, drag and the fifth principle of flight is, Money! Lately I have been on an extended hiatus from flying because of the fifth principle. Yes I love to fly but I love life more than flying. Now I'm not suggesting that flying is dangerous, what I am suggesting though is that flying cheap can be very dangerous.

For as long as I can remember I've always loved airplanes. When I was very young I had an opportunity to ride in an airplane but I was terrified so I didn't go. It could have been the need for me to conquer my fear of flying that sparked my interest in aviation. As with most aviation enthusiasts I would read books about flying, build and fly model airplanes but it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I took my first airplane ride, and yes I was still a bit terrified. Even though I knew a lot about airplanes and how they flew, what all the controls were and how they worked, I was still nervous up until the instructor said go ahead take the controls. At that moment my life changed and I felt a change for the better, but the last thing I needed was another iron in the fire because I already had too many interests while I was working on a music career, which unfortunately never really developed into what I had hoped.

Now there was something new, I wanted an airplane, I mean a real big not a toy airplane. So how do I buy an airplane on a factory worker's wages? I resorted to the only strategy I knew at that time, I would do it as cheaply as possible and didn't care about the risk, I was going to a build an airplane. I figured I could hold down a 40 hour week job, raise two kids as a single parent, pursue a professional music career and find the time and money to build an airplane and learn to fly it, but that's just me.

I balanced it fairly well for the next few years but then that fifth law of aerodynamics naturally revealed itself. MONEY! Well something had to give, so needless to say my flying took a backseat to living. Now I am a bit older and I feel a bit wiser because I understand that money is the most important principle of aerodynamics. The more money you have the better, faster, farther and safer you can fly. I still have the same goal of owning my own airplane but I am approaching it from a different angle, I will concentrate on making money and the money will get my airplane. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Good luck, Dad:)

Anonymous said...

You should look into fractional ownership or perhaps a local flying club